Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
The body produces many hormones, all of which work in symphony with each other.
The key to bio-identical hormone replacement is re-balancing this symphony when it is out of kilter and causing you to feel less than fantastic.
Bio-identical hormones are not just for women. Bio-identical hormone replacement is just as important for men’s health. Proper individualized replacement programs using these hormones will make you feel and function years younger, while at the same time protecting you against the diseases and infirmities of aging.
The major difference between you at age 50 and at age 25 is hormonal. Hormones are molecular messengers which control healing, tissue regeneration, immune function, sexual function, memory and mood, strength, body composition, skin thickness, energy, digestion, and virtually every other aspect of human function.
Hormone replacement is not just concerned with the sex hormones oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone. There are many other hormones beside these such as thyroid hormone, Vitamin D and the adrenal hormones.
The important thing to note is that all of the hormones in your body work in symphony with each other and must constantly be assessed in relation to each other.
- Bioidentical hormones have the same molecular structure as the hormones produced naturally within the body. The body does not distinguish between supplemental bioidentical hormones and the hormones produced within the body. As a result, bioidentical hormones are properly utilized, and are able to be naturally metabolized and excreted from the body.
- Non-bioidentical hormones are not identical to the hormones naturally produced within the body. The use of non-bioidentical estrogen and progesterone is associated with the risk of breast cancer, heart attack, and stroke.
- Studies suggest that bioidentical progesterone is not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. Current literature indicates the use of bioidentical progesterone is associated with a decreased risk of breast cancer.
- Three types of estrogen are produced in the body: estriol, estrone, and estradiol. The scientific literature suggests the use of estriol is not associated with an increased risk of breast cancer. While non-bioidentical estrogen replacement therapy is known to increase the risk of uterine cancer, topical estriol is not.
- Research on bioidentical progesterone has shown beneficial effects on cardiovascular health, including decreasing the risk of blood clots, protecting against atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), and maintaining healthy HDL levels.
- A review of the scientific literature suggests that bioidentical progesterone may be superior to non-bioidentical progesterone in treating menopausal symptoms. Estriol is also highly effective in the treatment of menopausal symptoms.
- Estriol has been shown to improve bone density, promote youthful skin, and enhance sexual and urinary health.
- Foods and nutrients with scientific evidence to potentially protect against the development of breast cancer include green tea, soy isoflavones, fish oil, vitamin D, plant lignans, indole-3-carbinol (I3C; found in cruciferous vegetables), and D-glucarate.Health is a holistic goal, and hormonal health put simply, is a large significant factor of that big picture. To control your hormonal health you need to work with an understanding doctor who believes in the value of hormonal testing to use as a tool in the treatment of your health.
Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy products are compounded by a compounding pharmacist for individualised hormone replacement.
Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy is administered generally, in the form of a capsule, troche (lozenge) or as a transdermal cream which are absorbed through the skin without having to go through the digestive system creating stress on the liver.
Small doses of testosterone are useful in menopause for depression, to enhance energy levels, mood and libido without causing side effects.